Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ensalada: Mom's Fruit-Punched Salad

Salads aren't always my favorite thing, but my Mom has a knack for making some pretty delicious ones. This is one she made for us over the weekend (the other one I will post later in the week!) that combines sweet summer berries with nuts, lettuce and cheese. It made a very good side to the grilled salmon we had with it!

The title is slightly misleading ... I promise no fruit punch juice actually went into this recipe.

MOM'S FRUIT-PUNCHED SALAD


Ingredients:

  • Blueberries
  • Sliced strawberries
  • Shaved parmigiano reggiano
  • Sliced almonds
  • Sugar
  • Greens of your choice
Directions:

  1. Combine blueberries and strawberries with sugar and water. Macerate (fancy word for "soften by soaking in liquid") for a few minutes.
  2. Shave your cheese. Mom prefers to buy cheese in wedges instead of the pre-shredded variety and shave it herself. Gives the salad a bit more rustic beauty.
  3. Arrange macerated fruit, almonds and greens on a serving platter.
    1. Sidenote on the greens: I'm not sure what specific lettuces Mom used this weekend, but I really love Romaine or butter lettuce for salads. Romaine would be great with this because it and the almonds add crunchy texture to balance the softened berries.
  4. Toss above ingredients and top with the shaved cheese.
  5. Serve with dressing of your choice. I like Caesar, Daddy prefers a vinaigrette. My little brother eats ranch with everything veggie-like, but honestly I don't think it would taste well with this salad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment