Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sammige: Turkey, Brie & Apple Panini

Maybe Daddy and I are the only ones in the world who use the word "sammige" instead of sandwich ... maybe not.

Sometimes I like to refer to myself as the "panini queen," because one of my favorite cooking things to do is find ways to turn meals into panini versions. There's something about that perfect grilled bread with melty cheese that makes my mouth water.

This is one of the first paninis I ever created, inspired by one I ate in downtown Augusta several years ago. The tangy sweet of the apple is balanced by the salty meat and brie (which will appear a LOT in this blog. I love Brie). It's a hit with my family and the friends who've had it as well, sooo, bon appetit!


TURKEY, BRIE & APPLE PANINI

Ingredients per panini:

  • 2 slices wheat bread (not honey wheat, just a nine-grain or something)
  • 3 slices turkey (if you're doing it straight off the bird, make it thin slices, not thick chunks of Thanksgiving turkey!)
  • 4 slices Granny Smith apple
  • Brie
Directions:
  1. Prepare the Brie. Shocking, I'm sure, but I'm weird when it comes to putting Brie on sandwiches. I cut the top of the rind off (and then eat it ... oops) and hand scoop the soft cheese onto the bread.
  2. Top the brie with apple and turkey slices.
  3. If you want, add some more Brie as a top layer. Since I don't use butter or sauce on these, the melting cheese is what helps the sandwich stay stuck together.
  4. Throw the whole shebang on the George Foreman until the bread is grilled and the cheese is melted. Depending on how cold your Brie was when you added it, this could take a couple of minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment